PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Alternative Therapies and Supplements

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Firedancing

Default Royal Jelly?

Just curious who has taken Royal Jelly supplements and would recommended them when TTC? Or have gotten pregnant after taking them??
Firedancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
emmilynn

I just started looking into Royal Jelly but without getting too far into research, found this to start with:

Quote:
Regular consumption of high-quality Royal Jelly has been shown to help balance hormones. This makes it beneficial to those individuals that suffer from a hormonal imbalance, as it helps to provide support to the endocrine system. It can also help with problems that are related to hormonal imbalance, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome or irregular menstrual cycles. Some studies have shown that Royal Jelly has the propensity to mimic human estrogen, which can help those that suffer from low estrogen levels.

Royal Jelly is primarily sold as a dietary supplement that can be used for a variety of issues. Some of the things that Royal Jelly has been used for include:

To increase libido
Support egg health
Diminish and reduce the signs of aging
To reduce inflammation caused by illness or injury
To naturally boost the bodies immune system
To help treat auto-immune problems like non-rheumatoid arthritis

You can usually find Royal Jelly in capsule or liquid form. The liquid form is placed into a honey base, that can be taken orally or mixed into beverages, meal-replacement shakes or smoothies. When purchasing Royal Jelly, you want to make sure that you only choose pure, high-quality jelly from a reputable source. Make sure there are no preservatives, additives or chemicals to the jelly, so that it does not counteract what you are trying to do to boost your fertility.

It is extremely important to note that Royal Jelly should not be taken by everyone. As with anything, even those things that are natural, it is possible for an individual to have an allergic reaction from consuming the jelly. If you know that you have an allergy to bee stings or even an allergy to honey, you should not take Royal Jelly, as side affects and reactions can include minor to severe skin irritations, difficulty breathing or even anaphylactic shock.
Seems like it's worth a try. Just becareful if you have any allergies or any reaction at all if you decide to try it. I've seen it in the vitamin aisle at Walmart so you can get it pretty much anywhere, cheap. HTH
Currently not TTC
Current Supplements: Multi Vitamin, Vit D3, B-12 Complex, Maca Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Inositol Powder, Fish Oil, NAC, NPC as needed

emmilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

hmm my my parents have been taking it for years, with many other supplements...and i think my mom has PCOS (not as severe as mine). maybe i will try that
Femara/Gonal-f/Estrace/Ganirelix/Ovidrel/Prog cycle #1: BFP! *twins*
prenatals, fish oil (contaminant free, with DHA/EPA)
HcG @15dpo-299, @18dpo-1,079; EDD 12/31; PTL @ 31wks
12-14-11 37w4d
praises1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
kerricalabrese

I've been taking Royal Jelly for several months now, I can't really say if it's affected me positively or not, but I hope it has, LOL!

Kerri

kerricalabrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Firedancing

Emmilynn - thank you so much for the info!

I've read in a couple different places about the connection between royal jelly and egg health...i was just wondering if anyone felt very stongly that it was beneficial. In Making Babies, it is recommended especially for my "fertility type". I don't know if I want to give it a try though because I'm already taking a few supplements and I don't want to overdo it!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
emmilynn

You're welcome, Firedance. I just happened to pick up a bottle today at Walmart and I'm going to try it out. They are 500mg each so I'm just going to start out with one pill per day for now. I don't have any known allergies so I should be ok. And I know what you mean about not wanting to take too many supplements. I take a lot, but so far don't seem to have any negative reaction (other than occasional nausea) so I'm doing ok. Everywhere I've read on it says it can increase egg health. It probably does to some extent.

Firedance - just curious what you mean by "fertility type"? You mean PCOS?
Currently not TTC
Current Supplements: Multi Vitamin, Vit D3, B-12 Complex, Maca Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Inositol Powder, Fish Oil, NAC, NPC as needed

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Firedancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmilynn View Post
You're welcome, Firedance. I just happened to pick up a bottle today at Walmart and I'm going to try it out. They are 500mg each so I'm just going to start out with one pill per day for now. I don't have any known allergies so I should be ok. And I know what you mean about not wanting to take too many supplements. I take a lot, but so far don't seem to have any negative reaction (other than occasional nausea) so I'm doing ok. Everywhere I've read on it says it can increase egg health. It probably does to some extent.

In the book, Making Babies (which I highly recommend!!), they describe five (?) different "fertility types" which is based upon diagnoses and symptoms you have. Once you find your "type" they make recommendations about diet, exercise, supplements, etc. You can go online to makingbabiesprogram.com and take the survey to find your fertility type. They give brief recommendations online but there are WAY more in the book. Highly recommend when TTC!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
emmilynn

I went to that site and took the quiz. Interesting! I'll have to check out that book when I start TTC again!
Currently not TTC

Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Firedancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmilynn View Post

What are your thoughts on Royal Jelly now that you've been taking it for a little while??
Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
emmilynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancing View Post
What are your thoughts on Royal Jelly now that you've been taking it for a little while??
I'm really not sure, Firedance. I can't really say if it's doing anything yet. My fertility friend chart is saying I ovulated but I don't think I did. My temps are just wonky and all over the place. I haven't had any EWCM or O pains yet. I did bump up my Cinnamon intake to 2000mg per day last week so maybe that's why my temperatures are a bit higher?

But I haven't had any adverse side affects from it so that's good!
Currently not TTC