PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Fertility

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

Question Thin PCOS and Fertility

Hi, I'm new at forums and PCOS, so let me know if I'm not doing something right. Ha! Anyone out there with "thin PCOS"? Can't really find any numbers out there on how likely it will be to have a baby with PCOS. Seems like trial and error for everyone? Just started TTC and starting ovulation induction next month.
praises1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
rachelttc

I'm not one of them, but I think several people here are thin with PCOS. I hope some of them respond and can answer your questions.

If not, just join the TTC board and we'll all help however we can!
4/11: Clomid break, tried SI. No O.
5/13/11: 3rd Clomid cycle: BFP at 10dpo!
Betas 13, 15 and 17dpo: 34, 84, 247 Due date: 1/23/12
Week 20: diagnosed with single umbilical artery (SUA), apparently no other associated birth defects! Ultrasounds every two weeks to check for problems.
1/29/12: Baby girl born!
rachelttc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
samsmith

I suppose I have "thin PCOS", although I've never heard of that term! I'm 5'8" and 108lbs - always been naturally thin. My dr. told that I don't fit the PCOS "mold" at all, but it can happen! I have been prescribed Clomid and I will be starting it soon. I'm hoping it will do the trick! I tried gaining a bit of weight a while ago but it didn't change anything so hopefully the Clomid works. He feels pretty confident that the Clomid will induce ovulation so fingers crossed - good luck to you!!
samsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
samsmith

Oh I should also add, my dr. told me his daughter who is a runner like myself so had a similar body build had pcos and became pregnant within 3 months of starting Clomid. I am sure it really varies though
samsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

They sometimes call it thin PCOS, I guess to distinguish it from PCOS where insulin is a major factor. I have heard that athletes like runners and ballerinas can get PCOS but I'm definitely not an athlete myself. I'm 5'5" 115 (was 124 while on BCP) and just always been thin. I'll start either Clomid or Letrozole next month. I know there are others out there like me, just hard to find them!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

Good luck to you too! My doctors and acupuncturist have sounded pretty positive about my situation as well, so hopefully!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
linnmarie

I am "thin PCOS" so my main issue is the ovulation and infertility. My DH isn't ready to TTC yet, but my RE stated that when we are that 80% of "thin PCOS" patients who are put on Clomid will usually get pregnant within 4 months. Hope that helps! good luck, lots of baby dust!!!!
linnmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
landbttc

Hi Praises!

I am thin w/ pcos. 5'4, 115 lbs. I JUST got my first BFP today. I do hear that each and every person with pcos is different but a few things that vary often are:
-Thin pcos-ers are not always AS insulin resistant so metformin often doesn't have the same effect as stereotypical pcos.
-I hear chlomid doesn't work as well for women who are thin w/ pcos. It didn't do a darn thing for me.
-Women with stereotypical pcos often have a tougher task at hand because they will often have to lose weight as a first step in treatment for fertility. From what I understand, these women are not overweight because of genetics or socially poor eating habits but rather their resistance to insulin makes it so these women do not digest food the way an average, non-pcos woman does. ALL of us tend to crave sugar and carbs and these are bad for our bodies and resistance to insulin.

One important thing that I've learned about pcos is that STEREOTYPICALLY most women are with pcos are overweight. BUT- in actuality, it is almost even.

-Mixed 2000mg Metformin w/ 50 mg Clomid
**What worked** 3 weeks of gonal F, trigger, IUI & major amounts of boning.

12/24/2010 (11dpo)- BFP!!!!
TRIPLETS!!!!! born @ 35w1d- 8/2/11
landbttc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
SleepyGirl

Im also a thin pcoser

SleepyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

landbttc,
i have heard that too--that Clomid does not work well for thin PCOSers--but i asked my RE and he really didn't say which medication would work better for me--Clomid or Letrozole--but my acupuncturist said that just from her experience and what she has seen work for her patients who are also being treated by REs, Letrozole has worked more often. i'm going to ask to try Letrozole first and we'll just have to see.
Femara/Gonal-f/Estrace/Ganirelix/Ovidrel/Prog cycle #1: BFP! *twins*
prenatals, fish oil (contaminant free, with DHA/EPA)
HcG @15dpo-299, @18dpo-1,079; EDD 12/31; PTL @ 31wks
12-14-11 37w4d

Tags
pcos, thin, ttc