PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Medications

Notices

Old 09-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
PamCake

Default Metformin... what not to eat?

Hi everybody!
I've been newly diagnosed with PCOS, and my doctor prescribed Metformin today (in hopes that it would help with my menstrual irregularities, weight issues, etc.)
Really, though, I'm new to all of this. I've been sort-of researching PCOS all evening and learning a lot... I've done a little reading about Metformin and I must admit that I'm scared of the side effects (mostly the nausea). I gathered that there seems to be a connection between diet and the severity of side effects... and I wondered if you have any advice for a newbie? I know that all people react differently to meds, but I was curious about what seems to help you and what seems to make things worse?
I appreciate any info!
Many thanks,
Pam
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
sarahj

Today is the start of my second week on metformin, and it hasn't been that bad. I have been staying away from sugar and refined carbohydrates. I have been eating alot of lean protein and veggies. More specifically: chicken, seafood, salads, leafy greens. HTH
Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
luvdagiants

Default I am with you Pamcake

I am recently diagnosed as well. I am on my second week of Metformin and it is kicking my butt. Not to scare ya or anything, but I have been constantly sick to my stomach. I have tried the protein and veggies, but even those are turning my stomach now. I would to read some suggestions for a newbie as well!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
PamCake

Thanks for your responses.. Today was my first day (I took 500 mg with breakfast). I've been drinking low-carb/low-fat meal replacements twice a day, and eating real food in the evening. Tonight I had a tofu "hot dog" with a low-carb tortilla and apple.
I'm not sure if it's the metformin or my nerves, but I felt icky after I ate... I do want to lose weight, but I don't know if this is the best way? I had to force myself to get 500 calories in today - I'm kind of afraid to eat anything because I think it will make me feel sick. Does that make any sense?
Again... I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
PamCake
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Lizzy83
PCOStar!

I started Met in Nov. When I started it, I only took 1 pill a day (500 Mg). I had the stomaches and the diaraha. After 3 weeks I then started taking both pills, and I soon felt better. I don't know what to tell you to make you feel better. I know that I was in constant pain for quite a while. I almost stopped eatting so I wouldn't have to deal with going to the bathroom. :cry:
Natalie Kay born April 15, 2010 via c-section.
Met: 1000 mg

Lizzy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
slong007

Okay PamCake 500 calories is too low! Met is designed to help your body with its insulin. What you eat also has an effect on insulin. You should be approaching your eating as if you were diabetic. No sugar, refined carbs lots of lean protein and veggies (veggies have good carbs and fiber). You want to make sure you are getting enough fiber as well. I personally started following South Beach when I started taking Met to avoid the side effects, although I also hoped it would lead to weight loss, which it has. I liked the South Beach book because it explained how to eat to help regulate your insulin and blood chemistry, something as PCOSers we need to do. Your low-carb/low-fat shakes may have a lot of sugar in them and we need fat in our diet to help with digestion...you just want the right kinds of fat. Additionally you need protein, which your tofu dog, tortilla and apple didn't have much of I'm guessing. I recommend the South Beach book, but there are other diets people have had success one. If you are interested in losing weight you'll have to eat more than 500 calories or you body will think its in famine and slow your metabolism and store fat.

Also, take your Met with dinner not breakfast. It will help you sleep through some of the side effects. If you aren't on the extended release version ask to be switched it is less demanding on your digestive system. I've been very lucky to not have any side effects unless I eat the wrong foods. My aunt who also has PCOS just started Met last week and she has already had the same response as me. Side effects when not eating properly.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
HeidiD

Have your doctors recommended doing the low-sugar low-carb diets? Mine hasn't said boo about that but I don't feel very well on Met. I have no energy and diarrhea. Should I skip the sugar?
HeidiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
mdub

I started South Beach when i started met and the first two days I had diarrhea and then it stopped. I also had no energy and a headache but that could ahve been a combination of my body adjusting to no carbs and the medication. But after that, I was fine! I even upped my dosage on Monday and have had no new side effects. My sister taking the medication has not done the low carb thing and has continued to have side effects from the met. So it seems to help!
mdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
teebeetx

Default Metformin Blues

I had a terrible time with Metformin in the beginning. I found myself only able to stomach one thing for weeks....canned peaches! Even the thought of anything else made me heave. So, I didn't fight it. I just lived on peaches until I could slowly start to incorporate other things. Now I am back to norm. All side effects disappeared after about 3 months. MAny people don't even experience side effects, so let me clarify that I have a very sensitive digestive system to begin with!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #10
medic_632
PCOStar!

Send a message via AIM to medic_632 Send a message via MSN to medic_632 Send a message via Yahoo to medic_632

i have to agree with slong...anything less than 1000-1200 calories (even for severly over weight people) is very dangerous, even more to those of us with insulin probs...i had some nausea (which i am used to cause of the damage to my stomach from Lyme attack) fortunalty fo me i had an RX for the nausea but i was only allowed to use it if it was "violent" nausea...anway the point is that we all get through it eventually and even if you don't feel cured, internally it is doing something...low-carb (not no carb) diets such as those mentioned are great with met and from experience after your belly calms down and you want a treat DO IT IN MODERATION (anything high in greasy fats ie...butter, or sugars will cause a very very upset stomach)

i went and talked to a nutrionist who helped me work out where i need to be everyday with food intake and exercise (caloric burning)

Per Day
1200-1500 calories
less than 35g Fat
as little saturated fat as possible
as little cholesterol as possible
as little sodium as possible
less than 100 carbs daily (all from whole grains not white enriched)
as much fiber as possible (without making me sick)
90-100 protein daily
and recommended daily values of vits and minerals (get from supplement)
also take all meds on time everyday(MET, Cinnamon 3000mg day, Lyme meds)

i try to eat all white meats (turkey, chix, lean pork) & seafood
veggies with butter sprinkles are great
salads with vinigrettes instead of cream type dressing (ie..ranch)
low fat dairy products

when i really need a sweet fix i eat Russell Stover Sugar Free Breakfast Bars and Hershey's Sugar Free chocolates, PB cups, or PPMint Patties

they are actually really good and much better for you

I also joined an online calorie/health tracker where you can track all food you take in, exercise, weight, and there is a chat board, pro advice, and even an analysis of how you do everyday...and the best part--IT IS FREE
www.calorie-count.com

GOOD LUCK...please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, i can always ask the Nutritionist for you :lol: (i'm not expert beleive me but i try to learn a lot)

medic_632 is offline   Reply With Quote