PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
veevee

Default My story with Metformin and cinnamon

Hello!

I was thinking about it today and I realized that, when I was taking Metformin, my doctor only made me take it for a month before ordering new blood work and telling me that it's not doing anything for me

I am thinking of making a new appointment (with another doctor) and try again.

In the meantime, I am taking my cinnamon pills (I started yesterday). I am taking 2x 1000mg, does that sound like a good dosage? Should I add more? Can Metformin and cinnamon pills be taken at the same time or would that be too much?

Thanks!

Veevee
veevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
wildflower
PCOSuperStar!

It's recommended now to only take up to 1000mg of Cinnamon as the coumarin in it can thin your blood. You can still have the same results at a lower dosage, but it may take longer to see the changes.

Some women have taken Met and Cinnamon. Typically it's if they are at the max dosage of Met that they can tolerate, but still are having IR symptoms. You can add Cinnamon on top, but you want to be careful to not overdo it as it can cause hypoglycemia and make your blood sugar dip too low. I'd talk with your doc about it (when you find one) and are starting your Met.

I agree that getting a 2nd opinion is a good idea. It can take 3-6 months to see improvements when taking Met. jarretfertility has some info that explains why this is....I'll see if I can find the link.

wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
wildflower
PCOSuperStar!

http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
skarida

yea, like wildflower said, 2000mg might be too high ! i did some research on cinnamon because i also just started it recently , and it said the starting dose is usually 500mg, and anything over 1000mg/day could be harmful to you. seriously, i first thought that cinnamon is just a spice so more can't hurt, but it turns out this coumarin ingredient is serious stuff, so the cinnamon should be treated like any other medication.
please let me know how it's working for you - i've also just started and im curious about the effects im also sharing all my experience in the thread in my sig.
and good luck in finding a good doctor soon - hopefully metformin will work for you if you give it more time !

Edit: i forgot to add that the pills i take are 350mg each and it says on the package the recommended dose for diabetics is 2 per day. so i decided to start with one - just 350mg/day and see if it works

skarida is offline   Reply With Quote