PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Fertility

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
luv2teach

Default DH's fluctuating sperm count

When DH and I first started seeing my RE, he had his count tested and it was 5 million, but with good mobility. RE wanted to wait a month to repeat the test to compare them. That test had a count of 38 million with good mobility. The RE said that the first one was prob. a fluke b/c any man who has a count as high as the second one typically does not have a problem. So we were obviously excited and relieved. Yesterday during my IUI (which is about 7 or 8 months later) we got the report about his count right before the procedure. This time he had 9 million and only about 30% mobility. The nurse did say though that after the lab spun it up the count went up to 16 million (still a little confused about that, haha). She mentioned that fluctuations that wide apart are not common. Of course, the RE is out of town so I can't ask him about it!! DH and I cannot think of anything he's doing differently that could affect it. Any similar experiences or advice?

Mary (28) James (26)
Married 7 years TTC #1
4 clomid cycles (100mg)-3 O's, but BFNs!!
July-Clomid (100)+Ovidrel(2 shots)+IUI=BFN
August-Clomid (100)+Follistim (75)+Ovidrel+IUI+Prometrium=hope
luv2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
jennyandkev1020

Red face

We were told to collect a sample between 2-5 days of doing a BD session because it does change the results. I guess if you do the BD right before submitting a sample it will bring his count down and also if you do not do the BD within 5 days...his count will be so high it might not be accurate. Thats my understanding of it anyway. I have read that men that smoke have a lower count. I have also read that sperm definitely increase when the man takes a multivitamin especially one high in Vitamin C. (I have my DH taking a daily multivitamin too.)
On another note, I do know a couple where the man had a low count in the summer because he worked outside in very hot weather conditions....but in the winter he was good to go. They have 2 kids now!!! So I guess alot of things must influence sperm count. I wish you good luck and try to remember it just takes one sperm to fertilize your egg!
jennyandkev1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
skusisto
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

Another point... if it had been a long while, the mobility would also be impacted... so if it had been 5 days that may have given the differing results. But ultimately, sounds like 16 million after the spin is great!

skusisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Anna
PCOStar!

Send a message via MSN to Anna Send a message via Yahoo to Anna

My husband has fluctuating sperm counts. His last count he had 30 million with only 5% of them being strong..so only 5 million. My DH is a "Sanitation Engineer" or in layman's terms Garbage man lol. So he is outside all day in the heat plus he rides his bike everyday to work and that doesn't help with his sperm count either so I have heard. The very first time we did a sperm count like 4 years ago his count was 90 million...far cry from that now

Anna

Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
krisap00

Another possible reason could be illness/fever and the like. We ended up with a situation where all my DH's swimmers were fried(i.e his sperm count came down to 0) after a bout of the flu..His counts to begin with were not the greatest(~5- 10mil), but still they were not 0.
The other variant that we noticied was the 'collection'....if there is some spillage, or some pee gets into the sample, there could be some variation(or so we were told).

So something to think about.

A
IVF #1 - BFP - 10/21/2007

krisap00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
luv2teach

We followed dr. orders to collect his specimens and to do the IUI-at least 2 days abstain, but not more than 5. He is young and healthy (there were no illnesses around the time of any of the collections). He works indoors and wears boxer shorts, lol. The only thing I can think of is maybe it was the laptop....

Thanks for the replies!

Mary (28) James (26)
Married 7 years TTC #1
4 clomid cycles (100mg)-3 O's, but BFNs!!
July-Clomid (100)+Ovidrel(2 shots)+IUI=BFN
August-Clomid (100)+Follistim (75)+Ovidrel+IUI+Prometrium=hope
luv2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
LiketheWrap

Our situation is different but perhaps someone might have some food for tought. My husband tested a year and a half ago. He has a good count but the quality of the sperm has been our issue. (9 out of 10 either don't have a head or a tail.) He started taking a multi-vitamin as well as some herbal supplements I read about. We've never re-tested because it was never suggested by my doctor. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any insight??

TTC #2 7/2012
8/2012 Clomid 50 mg - no O
9/2012 Clomid 100 mg - no O
11/2012 Clomid 150 mg - O BF
12/2012 Clomid 150 mg - O BF
Taking a TTC break until May

http://likethewrap.blogspot.com/

LiketheWrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
alid

Question

Hi,

My DH is going in for a semen check. We have been at this for a year. This is the first semen check. What exactly are we looking or not looking for? I get that we want a high count, but...

Sorry if I missed something on another post. I have been so wrapped on my problems and never looked into male fertility issues. Thanks!
alid is offline   Reply With Quote