PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Medications

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Night Sky

Default weight loss and reduced facial hair on metformin?

Hi.

I'm wondering if when you go on Metformin, does it help with weight loss and facial hair?

I read the quick facts on Metformin in the sticky, but I'm still unsure about what it does.

I'm specifically looking to read about meds that will help with weight loss and will reduce facial hair with PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS around 2000, but I think I've had it for many years. However in the past 12 years, I've had an impossible time losing weight, and in the past year or so there's an increase in facial hair on my upper lip. I have to shave it in the morning. I also have skin tags under my arms. I'm wondering if the Metformin helps with skin tags also.

Thank You,
Night Sky
Night Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
chibow
Administrator

Metformin helps with the underlying cause of PCOS, so it helps some people with symptoms as well.

For PCOS, I recommend a two-pronged approach:

1) Treat the underlying cause of PCOS through either diet, meds or both. This puts long-term health risks in check, prevents further symptoms from appearing, and prevents existing symptoms from getting worse in most people.

2) Treat the symptoms that have already appeared. I have used laser to get rid of hair (and as long as I take the met, new hair doesn't start growing). Zone diet or something similar has worked for weight. I lost 70 pounds 12 years ago and have kept it off this way. Met helps support the diet for me, but doen't do much on its own for weight loss.

Zone lifestyle for 12 years
Metformin 1000 x 2 for 10 years
Insulite PCOS System since December 2007 (discontinued with BFP)
Chiral Balance (d-chiro inositol) supplement
Eico/RX Fish Oil supplement

chibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
bay316

When I was on Metformin I did lose 20 pounds but felt like crap the entire time. Had no energy and could barely get out of bed, and when I did I would fall asleep on the couch regardless of how much sleep I had the night before. I did notice a decrease in my facial hair, it didn't go away but it didn't grow back as fast.
As for the skin tags, I actually got 2 big ones while on Metformin, in my groin region (TMI I know) which made me very self conscious. Since I've been on this new diet of low salt, fat and sugar, the 2 skin tags have actually disappeared. Have also noticed a decrease in my skin coloration around my neck since starting the diet as well.
TTC#1 since Dec/03
Vit B6/B12/folic acid,
Glumetza 2000mg
Avapro 150mg

Aug 3/08 Clomid 100mg =BFN
Sept 20/08 Clomid 100mg and monitored cycle =O=BFN
Oct. 20/08 Clomid 100mg and monitored cycle =O=BFN
Nov.08 Clomid 100 mg and Femara 7.5mg=O=BFN
Dec/08 took cycle off
Jan17/09 Clomid 100mg and femara 7.5mg=O=BFN
Feb 20/09 Clomid 100mg and Femara 7.5mg=O=BFN
Mar 29/09 Clomid 100mg and Femara 7.5mg, Repronex 225 iu.=O=(BFN)
Apr/09-today ----Break from TTC
bay316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
ThePooper

Send a message via AIM to ThePooper Send a message via MSN to ThePooper Send a message via Yahoo to ThePooper

I've been on Glumetza (extended-release version of Met) for almost a year and it hasn't helped me with either issue. I'm already on an excellent diet and I exercise 3 days a week, so I'm at a loss. Hopefully it works for you!
ThePooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Night Sky

OhmyGOSH, I hope that Metformin won't make me feel like crap. I have sleep apnea, so I'm tired a lot anyway. The only thing that really helps is if I go to the gym in the a.m., which I'm able to do 2-3 mornings per week. The other days I feel really tired.

I saw my primary care physician today - he sees me each month since April for my weight and health. He was happy that I lost 2" from each of my thighs, even though I didn't lose any weight. He ordered a bunch of blood work for me to see if I qualify to go on Metformin. He was saying that people often lose weight on that -- which is why I was asking you guys.

I'm a little concerned about getting more skin tags on Metformin. I have some under my arms, and nobody can see them, but they bug me. Have you ever gotten them removed (anybody?....)? Maybe I'll start a new thread about that. Anyway, I hope I don't get more with the Met. Actually --- I wouldn't mind if I was losing weight.

The hair removal -- when you used Lazer, did it hurt? Was the hair on your upper lip? That's where mine is. It's not much but I do have to shave it each morning. And I have a little below my lower lip, and then just a little peach fuzz on my face near my hairline. I do feel that it's getting worse, which is another reason why I'm getting my PCOS evaluated.
Night Sky is offline   Reply With Quote