PDA

View Full Version : Vitex and cysts?

aka200
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I started taking Vitex a few days ago because I have stopped responding to Clomid and I have a fairly large ovarian cyst (5.2 cm). I did some internet research to see if Vitex would make cysts worse and the only thing I found was that it is sometimes listed as a herbal thing to take to help cysts. I started having some ovarian pain yesterday though and I started to get worried. Does anyone know if Vitex will make cysts worse? I know if I call my doctor I will just be told to stop taking it because they don't believe in herbal regimens. Thanks!

-Amy

sageandsam
01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think it will make them worse at all. The pain might be from them getting better. I am on Fertility Blend and I have large Clomid cysts that mean I can't take Clomid or ovulation meds. But Vitex seems to be fine for me. It is much gentler than the meds.

aka200
01-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks, sageandsam. I have another question about Vitex. It says it usually takes a few months to work. I have only been taking mine three days but today I got a near positive on an OPK and I have EWCM. Its only day 12 of my cycle and I never ovulate until day 17 at least, and I hardly ever ovulate without help. Is it possible it has started working so soon?

-Amy

sageandsam
01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Yes! This month was my first month on Fertility Blend, and I o'd for the first time on my own (that I know of) and I got my period a week earlier than usual. So, it definitely works fast. I say get ready to BD. If the opk stays positive for more than 3 days, then you can't trust it, but until then, assume you are about to o.
Baby dust!

aka200
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks! Wow, I would be so excited if I actually O'd without Clomid! :D

Baby dust to you too!

-Amy

sageandsam
01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Oh, wait. I just re-read your post and saw that you said "near positive". the thing with opks is not pos is neg. There really isn't such a thing as near positive. Some women apparently get a fade in pattern, but it is very rare. You are supposed to read the test as either neg or pos. So, wait until you see a completely positive test to assume it is positive. Unless you already know that for you near positive means about to turn positive. But if you don't, then don't fall into the trap of thinking it does. I drove myself crazy doing that when I wasn't o'ing.

aka200
01-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I sometimes have that fade-in pattern, so I think it might be positive tomorrow. I rarely have one that is so close to positive without it turning positive within a day or two. Plus, I have the EWCM. So I am keeping my hopes up! Is it possible for Vitex to give a false positive on an OPK?

-Amy

debbymc4
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I have the same reaction to the OPKs. I bet you'll be positive tomorrow. GL!

sageandsam
01-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Amy- I don't think it can give a false positive. I don't think anything does except for having too much LH which is a PCOS thing. If they've worked for you in the past, they should still work.
I'm glad to know you knew what you were doing about the near positive. I just didn't want to give you false hope. Was it positive today like Debby predicted?

aka200
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, it was positive today! :D I even double-checked with the digital OPK and got the smiley face (I only got a circle yesterday). I'm so excited. I have never gotten a positive this early in a cycle! I'm going to keep testing for a few days to make sure it goes to negative but since I'm having all the signs of ovulation - ovarian pain and EWCM, I'm feeling pretty good about this!

-Amy

sageandsam
01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Awesome! I am loving this Fertility Blend, personally. Let us know how your first month on vitex turns out. How are you taking it? I take three fertility blend capsules daily. I don't know how much vitex that is, though.

aka200
01-16-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm taking one 500mg capsule daily. Thats what it said on the bottle so I decided to start there but I know others take twice as much or more. I take some prescription meds and I was a little worried about interactions and side effects so I thought it would be safer to start low. I'm amazed it has started working so quickly! I guess it could also be a Clomid carry-over effect but since Clomid didn't work the last two months, I don't think it would be carrying over and working this month.

Do you take your Fertility Blend all month or do you just take it until you ovulate?

-Amy

sageandsam
01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I take it all month. If it takes a few months to build up to full effect, I don't want it to take twice as long by skipping part of each month. When I finally get a BFP, I will stop it right away.

sageandsam
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey Amy,
I posted this on the 2ww forum, too, but I don't know if you read that. I found some interesting info in my new book on getting pregnant naturally. Apparently Vitex increases your body's progesterone production. That makes it help prevent miscarriage, and it is safe throughout all of the month and early pregnancy. However, it also makes you have lots of early pregnancy symptoms, and a triphasic chart, even though you aren't pregnant. This last cycle, I was sure I was going to get my BFP, but now I know it was all the Fertility Blend affecting my temp chart and symptoms. It doesn't change my love of Fertility Blend, but it is a good heads up for anyone taking it.

aka200
01-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the info! Thats good to know.

My OPK's went to negative, so I'm thinking I O'd for real and it wasn't a false positive. This will be the first 28 day cycle I have ever had. :lol:

-Amy

sageandsam
01-19-2008, 01:44 AM
That is awesome! Are your temps going up, too? I found that the temp shift for indicating I o'd was totally reliable. It was just my assuming that a triphasic chart likely meant pregnancy that didn't work out so well.

aka200
01-19-2008, 05:44 AM
I don't temp, I'm too lazy. I don't wake up at the same time every day and if I know if I woke myself up at a set time to do it, I would never go back to sleep. I may try to start doing it at some point though.

-Amy

sageandsam
01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I totally recommend temping! I thought I would never be able to go back to sleep, but I do. I set my alarm for 6:30. My DH turns it off and makes sure I am temping (I keep the thermometer in a bedside table). After it beeps, I put the thermometer back in the drawer without even reading it, and go right back to sleep. We never turn the light on or get out of bed. I check the thermometer later in the day to see what it was.

aka200
01-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Does it matter when in the morning you do it, as long as you don't get up beforehand? Also, do you need a specific thermometer or will any digital do?

-Amy

sageandsam
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
You need to do it at the same time every day, so I set my alarm for 6:30, the earliest I ever have to get up.
You need a special thermometer. It will either say BBT or Basal Body Thermometer or Family Planning or Fertility Thermometer or something like that to indicate it is the right kind. They cost less than $10.
Fertilityfriend.com has lots of great info on how to temp, and it lets you chart and do everything you need to for free. They have a course on how to do all of this charting stuff. It is a great resource.

aka200
01-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have heard alot about Fertility Friend but never checked it out. I will have to do that.

-Amy