PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP.. OPK AS PG TEST??

wannababy1
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
SO I WAS SUPPOSED TO START YESTERDAY AND DIDN'T... NOT SURE WHEN I O'VD THIS MONTH BUT I JUST TOOK AN OV TEST. IT LOOKS POST. TO ME... SHOULDN'T THERE BE NO LINE OR VERY FAINT SINCE I'M SUPPOSED TO HAVE STARTED ALREADY? COULD THIS POS. MEAN A + PG TEST IF I READ IT RIGHT?

wannababy1
12-31-2007, 03:19 AM
ok so i knew nobody would be awake to write me so at 12 am i drove 30 min 1 way to buy pg tests. just got home and took one and of course it's neg.. any ideas as to why i would have such a pos opk test? i mean they were bright bright and the same color. i'm around 12dpo i think... so i'll try again later... i bought 3 tests!

resarie
12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't think OPK are good indicators of pregnancy. I would wait a few days and test again with a ept and see what you get. I hope it's + !!!!!

Good luck,
Teresa

tricia
12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
OPK and HPT test for totally different horomones and I do not believe the OPK could indicate a possible pregnancy as it looks for a horomone released around Oing time.

sweetsunshine72
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
If you look on www.poas.com, it actually shows that the chemical that OPK's look for is VERY similar to pregnancy hormone and will pick it up, so it CAN be used as a pregnancy test. HOWEVER!!!! You have to KNOW that your OPK tested negative after ovulation!!! Many PCOS women have an elevated level of LH (I think that's the one), which is what OPK's look for, so many women test a weak positive at ANY point during their cycle.

If you keep trying with OPK's, you should see the line growing stronger if you are preggers - but I would still confirm with HPT!

So, long story short, yes you can, but I wouldn't recommend it or get POAS-happy! Wait a few more days, a week even, and if you still haven't gotten AF, then get a blood test just to set your mind at ease.

HTH!!!

PS: Remember, friends don't let friends POAS earlier than 14 DPO!!!! :P

wannababy1
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
thanks so much ladies... i took another pg test this morning and it was - also. maybe it is a late ov... i'll take advantage of it! u know i'll keep ya posted. i didn't use opk's this mth. but i have before and they were always neg till i ov. soo... guess we'll see.

sweetsunshine72
12-31-2007, 02:16 PM
STEP AWAY FROM THE STICK. I REPEAT. STEP AWAY FROM THE STICK.

Wait a few days at least before POAS again! Otherwise, you will wear out your brain!!! Also, use only first-morning urine. It has more stuff in it to test!

8)

bbmk2
12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Wanna--Not to get your hopes up, but I've often wondered the same thing so I tested on an OPK this weekend (along with MANY HPT's!) and I got a positive on it. Turns out it was an true indicator for me.

Keep us updated!

xkwizit
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm with bbmk. I had a few opk's leftover and was very curious to see if it would work, and it did. However, the pg test was positive sooner than the opk. Here's a pic of the opk's.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/garker814/100_21062.jpg
The first strip was positive at 17 dpo, but 19 and 21 dpo were MUCH darker and showed positive IMMEDIATELY. (I just love doing little experiements like this :oops: )
I had a faint positive hpt at 12 dpo. Didn't try the opk's then, but based on how light the opk was at 17 dpo, I don't know that it would have worked at 12 dpo. Just my personal experience. I know we're all different! Good luck and I hope this is your bfp!!! :D

bbmk2
12-31-2007, 07:14 PM
xkwizit--Cool experiment!

I just noticed that we are only 2 days apart! :lol:

TeriD
01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Not to add fuel to the fire but I remember when I was seeing an RE and I called to let them know that I thought I was pregnant (they told me I wasn't by the way :roll: THEY WERE WRONG) the doctor told me that the test may show positive because I was ovulating. I know it is the other way around for you but What the heck? They have to be testing for similar hormones for her to say that.

lanne
01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Wannababy- I did test positive with OPK the month I got my BFP. I had tested negative first though. I was testing with OPK's at around 10 DPO because I couldn't wait any longer. I think it only messed with my mind though and wouldn't recommend it. If I were you I would keep testing with HPT in the morning! They are more accurate than OPK for pregnancy hormone.