PDA

View Full Version : Dark Skin Patches

JackieinMD
05-30-2006, 03:15 PM
My dark skin patches caused by the PCOS have been acting up a lot lately. :roll: The most noticeable one is on my wrist and I'm tired of people asking about it! :oops: Do any of you have trouble with those? Have you found anything to help? My dermatologist said nothing helps. I tried tanning, but that only made the patches darker! :evil:

AKM
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I have them under my arms. Makes my armpits look dirty, I hate it, but at least it isn't in a very noticeable spot. They are caused by being IR, but I don't know that they go away after your IR is improved. I've been taking met for months now, exercising on a daily basis, eating right, and have lost about 35 lbs.... so you would think my IR would be improved, but the patches are STILL THERE! They aren't even lighter.

Albo
05-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a dark patch on the back of my neck. It looks like I don't wash my neck. I also have patches on the tops of my legs, arm pits and under my bust. I've been like this since I was in my teens which was a nightmare because I used to dance on stage. :oops:

Rhonda
05-31-2006, 03:10 AM
SHUT UP!! I was a cheerleader and actually saw some guys making fun of me as if I didn't shave my armpits during a game once!!! I went to my family doctor and he said " If someone makes fun of you they aren't your real friends" YEA that's comforting to a 16 year old!! I don't even own any tank tops any more!! I have them under my bust and in my groin and now on top of my calvs?!?!? Why are we cursed not only with being infertile but weird dark patches and facial hair, is PCOS a mean joke God plays on us??

sweetsunshine72
05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Have you tried bleaching them? I know you can get bleaching creams at the drugstore (I think little old ladies use them to bleach out "age spots", but who cares!!!).

Obviously treating the IR is best, but if it doesn't seem to do much for your patches that are already there... :?

Laurie Stallings
05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
My dark patches under my arms went away when the insulin resistance got under control with Met. But I can't remember how long after that I noticed it was better.

I just wanted to let you know, though, that they can go away and won't necessarily stay forever, but I think the key is to get the IR under control.

TeeBee
06-01-2006, 04:16 AM
This isn't a complete solution, but it may help: I started using the Jergens Natural Glow lotion to give my tan a boost, but I found that it also makes some of my spots less obvious. Especially under my breasts! It only took about a week for me to notice. But if you're going to use one of these 'tan' type lotions, be careful that you follow the directions so that you don't turn too orange. Like I said, it's not a solution, but it helps for the time being. :?

Albo
06-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Rhonda - I hear what you are saying. I left dancing at 17 because I couldn't wear half the costumes. They were getting skimpier. Shaving was a nightmare. I get 5o'clock shadow within the hour, on my legs, under arms and bikini line. I loved dancing but I was becoming so paranoid. Plus I was getting a big belly but was not putting weight on. It was very odd. I now know it all because of the PCOS. :oops:

JackieinMD
06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
thanks guy for the posts! i've been taking actos for a couple of months now and it was supposed to help with the IR, but my patches have only gotten worse. :oops: they are on my wrists and i'm just tired of the dumb questions.

Laurie Stallings
06-01-2006, 07:00 PM
If Actos doesn't help your over-all problem, including the dark patches, ask your doctor about Metformin instead.

alba
06-07-2006, 02:51 AM
what is IR?

sweetsunshine72
06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
IR is Insulin Resistance - where the body loses it's ability to use insulin properly. You end up with either high or low blood sugar levels, and too much insulin in the body will mess up your other hormone levels (insulin is a hormone, too), thus causing PCOS symptoms.

chinnu20
06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I too had them on my underarms and groin area but now they r gone(vonly small spots have remained).I donno how or why but they just gradually faded away(this was b4 I started taking Met though).

peggy
06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
I have/had a big brown patch on my neck that eventually has faded to the hardly noticible point (except to me, cause I know it's there!). I also have another on the inside of my thigh which has not faded over the years. I've never taken meds for PCOS but did manage to get the IR under control, and I'm sure that's why the brown skin has gotten better. In fact, being able to show the brown patches to my doctors helped convince my doctors that I have PCOS!

Canadian_Chik
07-03-2006, 01:57 PM
yeah i feel your pain. i have them under my breasts and along my jawline under my ears. mine come and go litterally day by day, its odd. one day i'll wake up and they will be almost non-existant but other days i wake up and they're really dark :? could this be another thing completely or is it the same thing you guys are talking about?