PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...when can babies start to imitate actions?

Holly
05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I've been trying to teach Ruby simple things, like waving bye-bye, lifting up her hands when food is "all gone!", nodding and shaking her head, etc. But no luck yet, she smiles when I do those things but won't do them herself...at what age do babies start mimicking your gestures?

Leanna
05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Holly- I don't think there is a set time... but I bet she starts waving soon! Jack was probably somewhere around 8-9 months when he started waving and shaking his head no.

Bella923
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
ooooo good question!!! I was wonerding the same thing!

Gabi will wave sometimes but not all the times, but she is getting better at it. But that is the only action she will copy as of right now.

Terra
05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Babies imitate our actions from the very beginning--smiling, sticking their tongues out, cooing. But what you are talking about is around 9-12 months. Usually closer to a year old, kids will wave, clap, point, play peek-a-boo, stuff like that.

lisamarie
05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah I think it was around 10-12 mths when Porkchop finally picked up on flippin dh off. lol.

Leanna
05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
LMAO Lisa.

Jillilan
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
When we do developmental evaluations, this question is for babies 6-10 months of age, like someone said earlier babies do mimic very early on but the clapping, faces and peek-a-boo does come later.

Doing simple signs paired along with the words is an excellent idea- it supports communication and a lot of pre-schools are incorporating this into their curriculum- it decreases communication frustration later on.

good job 8)

Jill

cvalentine
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Emma just started waving and saying buh-buh (bye-bye) and she's 9 months. Her first "trick" was when you would say sooo big, she would throw her hands up - cutest darn thing I've ever seen! That happened at 8 months.

tracy
05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Matt's first imitation was sorda by accident. We watch football ALOT. And, when our team would score, we jump up and raise our hands. All the sudden...whenever you'd say touchdown, Matt would raise his hands above his head and cheer. Didn't even have to have the tv on :lol:

LM :lol:

texasred1
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
OMG Tracy I bet your dh was just thrilled! Unfortunately that won't be Mason's first trick per se since football season isn't for a while and he'll have a few more tricks by then. But oh gosh, dh would just pee on himself for sure.

tracy
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
ALL men were thrilled with that one. Matt's ped actually lists "atlanta falcons" as one of his interests on his website. So, I had Matt show him "touchdown" at his 18-month appt. Got us major brownie-points on his evaluation :lol: