PDA

View Full Version : best BCP for pcos

mdgirl12
05-16-2006, 08:47 PM
please help! I am currently on my first day of provera to induce period and then i am supposed to start estrostep (given to me by gyno), but my endocronolgist i saw today said estrostep is not ideal for PCOS.

i am going on pill bc my periods are SO erratic...i am 26 unmarried, no boyfriend, but desperately want children one day. i would have had them yesterday if i had met mr. right already!! my LH level was so high that she is afraid provera wont work which will mean premature ovarian failure but i think she might be getting ahead of herself. i am 26, 5'4 and 112 lbs, i have depression, hirtusim (sp?), NO thinning hair, and absent and/or irregular periods.

my question is what is the best BCP for PCOS?? i need to call my doctor to prescribe something else.

dromy2k1
05-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I've been on LoOvral for almost 6 months now. At first my hormones were crazy because I was getting used to the fact of having regular hormones for the first time in 2+ years. I found that the LoOvral helped with the hair on my face, I shave much less, but the hirsutism everywhere else is pretty much the same. So i need to ask my doc about that. I think the BCP also helped alot with my acne, although i changed my face cleanser so i'm not sure which really helped there. I also have been getting my periods regularly (knock on wood) every month. I also am not as depressed as I was before, but that could also be due to some life changes. The only downside that I can find is that I cry at the drop of a hat (NOT depressed crying), just watching tv and something is emotional I well up and my friends and I just start laughing. If thats the only side effect I have, I'll take it. I don't know anyone else on this BCP..but I hope this helps.

rxdiva
05-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I've been on many different BCP through the years. My gyno started me on Loestrin Fe when I was 15. That worked well for me, even lost weight when I started, but then insurance wouldn't cover it. So I was switched to Aviane. I think that one worked for about a year or two and then I started having breakthrough bleeding non-stop. I was then switched to Kariva (Mircette) which I was on up to the beginning of April-- when I got the period that wouldn't end. I seriously had my period for 3 weeks straight. My gyno took me off birth control and ever since I have had my period on and off. I go back to see her in June to find out where to go from here.

I think my gyno was picking BCP based on my hormone levels because each time I switched BCP the dosage of hormones went up. Something you may want to ask your doctor about.

slong007
05-17-2006, 10:31 AM
I've been taking Ovcon-35 since I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago. There was a short period where they switched me to Yasmin, but I had breakthrough bleeding, so I was switched back. I've been told by every doc I've ever seen that since I have PCOS this is the pill I should be on. Hope this helps!

tribeca
05-22-2006, 12:59 AM
HI,

I was on Ortho tri cyc LO, I just asked to go up to regular thinking it would increas estrogen and decrease the testosterone in my body. I have noticed a few people say Ortho tri cyclen is not good for PCOS. Anyone else hear this? I havent had any side effects with ortho tri cyclen. I have been on it for 5 years.

Gen224
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Any tri-phasic bcp (tricyclen or otherwise) is not good for cysters. Most of the time, the fluctuating hormones simply exacerbate the hormonal problems and they tend to do more damage (long-term) than good. I was on OTC for 4 years and although I felt good while on it, my symptoms (which were not all that bad previous to being on it) absolutely BALLOONED overnight when I went off it. :( I know others who have had similar situations and my RE said that triphasics are not recommended for PCOS in general, mostly for the reasons of the s/e after discontinuing them.