PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon questions....

bbin07
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok girls, I have a few questions about cinnamon use...First, does it affect fertility? Can it help? Second, would a tsp or two on my morning smoothie be of any use (I LOOOOVE CINNAMON!!)? And I know it can mess with your insulin, so I'm on 1000 mg daily metformin.

karenh
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Cinnamon is very good for you and is sugested for those with diabeties for helping with glucose and insulin usage in the body. I take it and I am happy, I take it in capsule form and put it on my oatmeal and other things. It wont affect fertility in a bad way, if you have problems with insulin and glucose it will help, and increase fertility. I say have as much as you like, I am off met because of health problems from it and the cinnamon is working fine for me, my levels are still in normal range.

newtoPCOS
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
My doctor didn't see any reason why I shouldn't take it and I really think it has helped a whole lot. I actually had a 33 day cycle on cinnamon normally they are like 45-60 and I O'ed.

Amberlyn
04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Ya know, I've just gotta try this for a month or two. I've seen enough of you ladies talk about how great it works. I'm calling the doc on Monday!

sweetsunshine72
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know how much to take? I've started putting a tsp on my morning cereal.
________
Yamaha YSR80 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YSR80)

newtoPCOS
05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I've been taking 500 mg capsules. I was taking 4500 Mg a day so the was 9 capsules 3 at every meal but I dropped it down to one capsule at every meal after ovulation incase I was pregnant.

Native
05-02-2006, 01:01 AM
I take cinnamon too. I took it a few months ago but not consistently. Never really noticed any changes. So a few weeks ago I decided I was going to take it again. I started out taking what the bottle recommended which was 2 - 500 caps a day. The first week was rough. TMI ahead......terrible, horrible tummy troubles. It was BADDDD!!! lol

Then I decided to really go for it and doubled the dose. So now I'm taking 2000 mg a day. The tummy got much better after the first week.

I am not insulin resistant nor do I have trouble with my blood sugar. I do have a lot of weight to lose though before I start having those kinds of issues.

Anyhow, I'm 35 and this is a last ditch effort before taking the plunge into fertility drugs. My clock is ticking away and at my age I can't afford to wait too much longer. I'm going to try it for a couple of months to see if it works. By that time I have another doc. appt. so if it hasn't worked I will start clomid or maybe just go straight for the inj. meds.

I'll post my results after the first full month on the cinnamon to see if there is a difference. hth

Becca

tweety
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I bought cinnamon yesterday. I am going to start it today. The bottle says to take 2 capsules once a day=1000mg. How much does everyone else take? Is it better it take with food?

newtoPCOS
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
The one study that was done show theraputic results from any where from 1000-6000mgs. RIght now I am taking 4500 before ovulation and then 1500 after ovulation. I split it up and take 1/3 with each meal. RIght now I am taking 500mg pills which means its alot of pills to swallow.

Tino
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I love cinnamon and have been eating lots of it because I'm eating "health" oatmeal for breakfast these days and need it for flavor!

Please forgive me for not looking at the store before I ask this question, but it is faster to ask and knowing me I'll forget to look when I'm at the store. Is this something you can only get with a prescription or can you buy it over the counter (tablets). Does anyone know how many tsp = how many mg?

sweetsunshine72
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
You can use the stuff from the grocery store if you have to - right now I am using about 1/2 tsp on my cereal in the morning. I also drink tea at work and I use a 1/2 cinnamon stick in my tea - I make 2 cups with one stick.

You can also find capsules at your local Health Food store. This makes it easier to figure out your dosage, and makes it not so boring to taste cinnamon with every meal! I think people are taking 3 - 500 mg capsules daily, spread out. The bottle should say how much to take. I know in the study they did, they did not find an advantage to higher doses, but it is water-soluble, so if you take too much, you will just pee it out, like with Vitamin C.

Some women are also being careful about taking it while pregnant, but low doses shoule be fine.

Hope this helps!

Real_F
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I just bought some pills from the health food store and there is a warning label that reads "If you are nursing, pregnant, or considering pregnancy, you should consult..."

Confused about whether to take the pills...? Any advice?

Thanks!

sweetsunshine72
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I think it's just a "cover my butt", 'cause they haven't done any actual research on preggy women.

I would not go over the recommended dosage if you're thinking you might be preggers, though. The way I think about it: You wouldn't stop eating cinnamon hearts if you were preggers, would you? It is also water-soluble, so you just pee out the extra.

It's up to you!

If anyone out there has a naturopath and can ask them, though, it might be an idea...

newtoPCOS
05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
You know I go back and forth on weather it is safe if you are pregnant. I do know that there is a study that is the works right now testing it as a treatment for gestatial diabettes but that is in late pregnancy. I am really not sure about how safe it is in early pregnancy. I am going to discuess it with my doc when I go see her again. I have been lowering my dose to 1500 after ovulation but I am really unsure. I rather take 4500 the whole month casue it really does make me feel better but I want to be safe also.

JenP
05-17-2006, 04:56 PM
i just called the health food guy and he said the cinnamon is for diabetes and not for fertility.. r u guys saying that it helps with fertility?

skusisto
05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Cinnamon helps with the insulin resistance. Metformin is also for diabetes but most of us take it to help fertility. For women with PCOS it may improve fertility the same as Metformin. I've heard of studies, but don't know the results of them.

newtoPCOS
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Cinamman helps with Insulin Resistance and diabettes. PCOS is caused by being Insulin Resistant. From my understanding the cinnamon helps with fertility by lowering the insulin levels which makes the PCOS better. It works similar to Met.

countrygirl
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi ladies- after figuring the cost of IUI and IVF, I am grasping for straws on what will help me ovulate. I am having all my ovarian cysts removed laproscopically Friday, and I know this will provide my ovaries a window of opportunity to actually ovulate on their own, with less scar tissue from existing cysts.

I am curious about the cinnamon. All of my bloodwork came back negative for diabetes. My nurse suspicions from my lack of response to even a double-dose of Femara and progesterone that I am still insulin resistant. Is it possible to be insulin resistant without showing up diabetic? I know I can drink water and gain weight and have to exercise inordinately to actually lose weight as well as drink like a fish and pee like a race horse. I know these are symptoms, but wonder if there is actually a way to diagnose it.

Did the cinnamon help you lose weight or just ovulate? Did you have problems with never ovulating in the past or just irregularly (I am not ovulating at all)? Where do you guys get such concentrated doses? The most I can find is 125 mg per tablet.

Any info would help-

newtoPCOS
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
My blood work came back that I was not insulin resistant but my doc still thinks I am cause of the PCOS. I took cinammon 4500 a day before I even saw my doc for the first time. WHen I went in for my first appointment I was ovulating for the first time in my life. The cinnamon also made me lose a little weight around my stomach area. I found 500mg pills at walmart which means I was swallowing 9 pills a day. My doc also gave me clomid and the combination seemed to have worked.
ALso have you though about Met? If you read some of the research studies this has really been shown to help women with PCOS loss weight and ovulate, even thin women.

Good luck,

skusisto
06-06-2006, 05:28 AM
insulin resistant and diabetic are not the same. You can be Insulin Resistant and not Diabetic. Your bloodwork can be in the normal range and still be insulin resistant. It may be the edge of the normal range. My doc didn't even do the test 'cause he says it's not reliable for insulin resistance... good for detecting diabetes, but no so good for IR.

chinnu20
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm on 2000mg Met is it advisable for me to take Cinnamon....if so how much can I take will 1000mg be sufficient.And one more thing do I have to talk about this to my doc b4 taking?I want to give it a try atleast.

LadieB
06-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I just purchased and started taking Cinnimon yesterday. I think I will start with 2000mg daily to see how that works. I'll keep you all updated.

skusisto
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Always ask the doc before adding anything to your regimen... taking the cinnamon with metformin may be a bit of overkill... but my RE said it was ok if I wanted to (I'm not currently taking it)... but definitely ask, especially if you're being treated already.

lordsprovisions
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
I take a capsule at night and one capsule in the morning. I'm also taking a Woman's Flax Oil (Omega's 3, 6 & 9) as well as 1 tube (20 mg) progesterone cream from Ovulation day until mensus. Since I've started all the herbal stuff, I've never felt better. My cycles have gone from 32 to 31 to 30 to 29 and my Ovulation days from 20 to 19 to 18 to 17 to 15.

Needless to say, I think it's beneficial.

sweetsunshine72
06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to mention something - if you are already on Met, and want to start Cinnamon, start slowly w/ the Cinnamon so that your blood sugar doesn't drop too suddenly.

Cinnamon can magnify the effect of the Met, and can cause a drop in blood sugar, so just be careful!

Take care, and lots of Baby Dust!!! 8)