PDA

View Full Version : Vitex and Red Raspberry

Mandolyn221
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I am super new to this site and the whole PCOS thing. My husband is a Chiropractor and a colleague suggested that I try Vitex and Red Raspberry to help normalize my cycles. Right now I go for 3 or so months without a period and then when i finally get my period it lasts for 8 weeks. I have read some stuff online about both herbs and I am somewhat confused. It seems like the Vitex raises LH, which is what confuses me... isint the LH what is normally high in women with PCOS? Why then would it help anything? Right now my LH to FSH ratio is about 3:1. Also, has anyone had any luck with red raspberry or any other herbs? I am really interested in natural remedies for PCOS, as I do not want to have to be on BCP for the rest of my life... it just to me does not seem safe.

Thanks!

countrygirl
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello Mandolyn221,

I am new to this site as well, but look on my thread entitled which supplements work. Mardok42 explained alot to me about herbs and vitamins. It might help you with what you need. I agree with you about taking rx drugs. I am looking to take a more natural approach to this thing too. I am willing to take the rx right now to kind of jumpstart the reversal of PCOS. I am hoping to maintain naturally if possible. Hope this helps a little.

whitehawk
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
This is exactly what I'm wondering. I've read many times about vitex being a magic herb for PCOS, but what if my LH is already high?

duckysleepover
05-24-2010, 07:19 AM
I have also taken chase tree for my personal use and it has brought back my periods. I did experience horrible mood swings and depression on it too. So, use it with caution. Here is some research I found:

"Some of the ones to look for are, Agnus castus (Vitex/chastetree berry) This is one of the most important herbs for PCOS because it helps to stimulate and normalize the function of the pituitary gland, which controls the release of LH (luteinising hormone). This herb has the effect of enhancing progesterone and decreasing estrogen levels. It supports the endocrine system to find its own balance.

When using chaste tree berry, don’t expect immediate results. It may not have much effect until it is taken for at least 3-6 months".

"Raspberry leaf is probably the most popular of all fertility herbs. It is a well-known uterine tonic and is also quite high in calcium. It's fertility promoting effects are most useful when combined with Red Clover". -(Treating PCOS with vitamins and herbs: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/64557/treating_pcos_with_vitamins_and_herbs_pg4.html?cat =5)

vivalibre
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't used the Red Raspberry but I’m pretty excited about the success I’ve had with Vitex. Sorry this is so long - I hope it interests someone!

I am 37 and last year my husband and I finally (!) decided it was time to have a baby. My problem was that I had no idea when I ovulated, mostly because my periods had been wildly irregular since they first began when I was 11. The only time they were regular was for the several years I was on the pill. I'd been to a few alternative medicine people over the years but my cycles never adjusted. Since I have insurance I thought I'd see what an M.D. would say about it.

After blood work and an ultrasound my ObGyn doctor diagnosed me with PCOS. She said that the cause is not known and since it is not a consistent, cut and dried condition, there is not a definite cure. The only thing she could offer me was that I look on the Mayo Clinic’s site for more info and that I could consider taking Clomid to induce ovulation for my fertility problem. I did not like the idea of Clomid, nor that the doctor seemed totally clueless about the condition.

My mom had recently started seeing a naturopathic physician so I gave him a try. He said he was confident that he could help. I thought, “I’ll believe it when I see it!” He put me on Vitex 750 (from Vital Nurients - I’m not endorsing the brand, it’s just FYI!) which is Chastetree Berry extract and Chastetree Berry & Leaf essential oil. I remember him saying that it was “to boost progesterone level and build uterine lining” and that it would not only regulate my cycle but also make my uterus healthier and more able to sustain a pregnancy. He said he wanted me to take it until we saw at least three “normal” consecutive cycles. FYI, he also put me on a good multi-vitamin and had me start eating milled flax seed because it “mutes the effect of estrogen and can mellow PMS symptoms.” Just before I began to take the Vitex (which I was interested to learn has been “used to treat female disorders” since the Greek and Roman empires!), I had had a couple of non-periods (thin, pink discharge instead of real bleeding), then nothing for three months, then, ten days after starting to take the Vitex in Nov ’09, I got a real, normal-heavy period which lasted 5-6 days (a common duration for me).

The following seven cycles were more or less normal – the menstruation was normal and almost cramp-free (this is the spacing of the seven cycles: 5 wks, 7 wks, 5 wks, 5 wks, 4 wks + 5 days, 4 wks). THEN, the day my seventh normal period ended I got pregnant! (Though it seemed strange, I had suspected that I ovulate RIGHT after my period ends and fortunately my husband and I had a break from all our summer visitors on the right day!)

I am now in my 9th week of pregnancy, hoping that all continues to go well.

I have to give props to my naturopath, Michael Slezak, who has offices in Santa Cruz, CA and somewhere in Southern California, I think in Orange County. His advice also helped immediately with the only pregnancy discomfort I have had so far: I haven’t felt real morning sickness but I had been feeling an almost constant low level wooziness/lightheadedness from a few days into the pregnancy and I was exhausted very easily every day until he simply told me to cut out most carbs and eat mostly good proteins. The biggest change was that I began eating cottage cheese and avocado in the morning instead of yogurt, cereal and fruit, and a day or two later all the wooziness and most of the exhaustion vanished. A couple of weeks later I had a craving for my yogurt breakfast and thought it might be fine. NO - I started to feel terrible until I ate some cheese and avo!

Of course Vitex may not work as miraculously for everyone but I really hope other women wondering what to do about their PCOS do at least look into it.

Best wishes!

vivalibre
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
By the way, I did not experience any negative effects from the Vitex such as the "mood swings and depression" that the poster duckysleepover suffered. I'd say it probably either isn't right for everyone, or it needs to be used under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner who is quite familiar with it so he or she can advise on the other foods, supplements, etc. you're taking concurrently.

jimtrailor
10-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Be aware, vitex can raise blood pressure to its maximum. Women with PCOS tend to be overweight which can cause high blood pressure. Women with PCOS i highly reccomend chromium picolinate. Look into that.

Mardok42
10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
The trouble with PCOS is that any imbalance in the endocrine system will cause it. High LH, Low LH, both will cause PCOS, as will possibly a thousand other things. That is why Vitex, and any other herbs will work great for some but not for others. Try it. It might work, but if my wife and I have learned anything, GO SLOW. Start low and work up to a higher dose. For her it made things much worse, but everyone is different. If you have PCOS and high blood sugar you will probably have decent results with vitex. I would avoid it if you have PCOS with low blood sugar.

I am super new to this site and the whole PCOS thing. My husband is a Chiropractor and a colleague suggested that I try Vitex and Red Raspberry to help normalize my cycles. Right now I go for 3 or so months without a period and then when i finally get my period it lasts for 8 weeks. I have read some stuff online about both herbs and I am somewhat confused. It seems like the Vitex raises LH, which is what confuses me... isint the LH what is normally high in women with PCOS? Why then would it help anything? Right now my LH to FSH ratio is about 3:1. Also, has anyone had any luck with red raspberry or any other herbs? I am really interested in natural remedies for PCOS, as I do not want to have to be on BCP for the rest of my life... it just to me does not seem safe.

Thanks!

Holisticnycoach
11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I think this tea is great. It's even better if you make it fresh (get raspberry leaves in a health food store and pour boiling water over it to let it steep first). Vitex is wonderful as well at regulating levels. One thing with PCOS that I suggest to my clients is exercise and stress reduction. Taking a jog or a walk in the park even can help with that. Other good exercises for PCOS is yoga, ashtanga yoga as well as high impact exercise such as kick-boxing or zumba.

Please contact me for a free health consultation at holisticnycoach@gmail.com