PDA

View Full Version : baby budget?

monthlyhopeful
09-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Ok ladies, without specific numbers or getting too personal...what kinds of changes are you planning on making to help budget for baby? (if any)...I'm a first timer and am fairly well aware of the possible costs and we certainly have a fallback in savings but I'm wondering what other major changes my peers are making to prepare for their babies?

I'm planning on taking 12 weeks of maternity leave with only a small percentage of my income coming in at that time and then I will have to go back at least part time for the health benefits. Anyone else planning on going back to work after baby?

thanks for any input and all the supportive words! This is my favorite site :)

twigford
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes - I am going back to work after the baby comes. I will have 8 weeks full time off and then 8 weeks part time, and then will go back full time (all paid at 100% of my salary). To prepare, I started buying diapers around week 10 and have purchased several boxes of size 1 and 2 - and have taken friends and family up on the offer to give us things - like a dresser, changing table, baby clothes, bouncy seat, swing, etc. One of our couple friends gave us a brand new - never taken out of the box - travel system. They received two and never took the one back, thinking they would need it. I know things will be tough with the added baby expenses, but I am trying to make wise decisions along the way. We don't eat out as much as we used to, and I am doing my best to put every cent towards the debt that we have. I know it will all work out in the end, and we will have a precious little one to cherish and love!

Fi29
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Trying to get the finances sorted now too! I'm taking 9 months off work (12 weeks full pay then 6 months at statuatory mat. pay (about a quarter of my salary). We're borrowing extra back on our mortgage to see us through. Like Twigford we're also getting some stuff from relatives and friends, and our parents are buying the pram. I've not thought about stocking up on nappies and things yet, but will probably start soon!

ggill
09-13-2009, 04:00 PM
We havent cut back like we should and are working on it now. We were lucky to get all the big stuff from the baby shower. I am going to borrow a friends crib and mattress for #2 and my mom and MIL will probably pitch in for a double stroller. I think cutting back on eating out, cable, ect helps. Also trying to pay down debt. Sku posted a break down of couponing on the moms site that is very helpful. Many have cut their grocery bills ways back with couponing. I am planning on starting but am not to organized and a procrastinator.

monthlyhopeful
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks for the input ladies. yes we have cut back on eating out (we go maybe once or twice a month), i play the "grocery game" online and coupon like crazy...i am keeping HBO for now for the fall lineup but if times get tough it can go :) and we'll see what the baby shower brings. I did sign up for a local consignment sale for baby clothes/supplies in october here in grapevine too. hopefully all this will help.

Lizzy83
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I think something to always remember is that certain things are important to have, and others aren't! Just remember that and buy the necissities (sp?). I know that I'm going to save up any pampers coupons and buy newborn diapers when I get them. As far as purchases for us, we need a crib (as ours was recalled and we got a matress instead), and clothes if it is a boy.

leeann38
10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Lizzy - are you finding out the gender?

We aren't, and our first is a girl. Our travel system is pink, but we are not finding out this baby's gender until birth. We are going to set aside money for a new carseat (for us, the travel system was a waste) and we are buying one of those sit and stand strollers. If I knew what I know now and I was pg with #1 again, I'd skip the travel system and just buy an infant seat and one of the metal frames. The stroller to the travel system was very heavy and bulky (and very cute!) LOL!

We are just going to buy some gender neutral clothes and keep the girls clothes ready in case this one is a girl. I'm going to buy a really cute new girls outfit and boys outfit for "going home" outfits and have dh wash the appropriate one when I have the baby and we'll return the other one. I don't want a gender neutral outfit for hospital pics. lol

To get ready financially, we are going to try to do a refi and pay down some debt. I think I might actually change job settings, too. I am a speech pathologist and right now I work in a school system with 3-5 year olds. I might try to get a nursing home job evenings/weekends so I can avoid daycare. My daughter's daycare is close to $700 a month, so I can't afford 2 at that price!! We're trying to eat at home more. When I get into the groove of cooking, I do really well. Once we eat out once or twice, then that's all I want!! It's a pain! haha

ggill
10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Leeann- I am so the same way with eating out and cooking! if I plan and get myself in the mood I cook, if we eat out once or twice, that is all I want. no clean-up! I cant wait to find out what your having! But I will wait till May!

leeann38
10-29-2009, 08:56 PM
I know, ggill! It's going to be tough, but I'm sticking to my guns. hahaha I have a feeling it's a boy, but then again, I thought Makenna was going to be a boy (but that might be because I secretly wanted a girl since that was the only way to give a first of any kind to one of our families) and she was a girl! So maybe it's another girl. I'd be super thrilled either way! But if it's a girl, we are definitely having a 3rd in about 5 years.

Lizzy83
11-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Leeann~I never remember to check over here. :) Yes we are finding out the sex. I would like to know so I can plan. :) I find out in 3.5 weeks. :) I've been buying gender clothes at Carters outlet when I am able to shop there. If we have a boy, we can reuse all of our stuff. Our travel system was gender neutral, our play n pack was too. The only things that were girly were our boppy cover and bumbo and I have no problem using them with a boy! DH does on the other hand. :P We'll see when get there to that! Maybe someone will buy us a boyish one if we need one. :)