PDA

View Full Version : D-chiro-inositol supplement

splashsmama
05-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I've read an excerpt from the New England Journal of Medicine concerning a nutritional supplement called d-chiro-inositol and how it's considered an effective alternative treatment for PCOS.

From what I've read, women with PCOS who received this supplement experienced the following benefits when compared with a control group: lowered free and total testosterone, lowered blood pressure, increased insulin sensitivity and a corresponding improvement in glucose disposal, and increased frequency of ovulation.

In a study of 44 PCOS women, half were given the supplement and the other half a placebo. Out of the 22 women on the supplement, 19 had succesfully ovulated. Out of the 22 women on the placebo, 6 had ovulated.

Has anyone tried this supplement?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

chibow
05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I used d-chiro inositol (Chiral Balance) for a while last year, but I was also using the Insulite PCOS system at the same time. I had great results, but hard to say which supplement(s) the results were coming from.

elliep
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Chibow, what kind of great results did you have? I've not heard of this supplement before, but just ordered the Insulite program and am very excited to start it to see if it will help with IR. Would love to hear about your experience.

chibow
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Well.....be careful. I got pregnant naturally (surprise!) after 16 years of trying with no previous successes ever (even with IVFs and other high tech stuff). :)

My first month on the Insulite PCOS System (last December) was really weird. I think I super-ovulated...a bunch of arrested follicles must have kicked in and all popped at the same time. I felt horrible, although not as bad as with OHSS many years back when I was doing IVF. Anyway, I think I cleared my system of a bunch of the so-called "cysts" on my ovaries. I hung in there and kept taking the supplements. The next month was much better. And then after that everything was fine, and I think I started ovulating more regularly than I used to. So I guess that's what I mean by success. I started taking Chiral Balance in February on top of the Insulite stuff.

I thought it must have all stopped working when I didn't get a period for a long time in April/May, and I started to get discouraged. Then....Surprise! I never in a million years thought I would get pregnant without even trying! My focus had been on overall health, comprehensive management of PCOS right at the source. I had actually given up on having a child after all that time. But whoo-hoo, here I am! :)

Chiral Balance is available at http://www.chiralbalance.com/

splashsmama
06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow! That's fantastic, Chibow. Congrats!
I'll have to check into the Insulite and Chiral Balance.
Thanks for the great info.

splashsmama
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
An update to my post...I've just ordered a 2-month supply of the Insulite system. I can't wait to start it. Thanks for the helpful info again, chibow.

And upon further reading, I've found that d-chirol inositol is naturally occurring in buckwheat, so I found a couple buckwheat recipes that weren't bread or pasta-related. I'll give it a try before spending the $149 on the supplement.
If the recipes are any good and the buckwheat proves just as helpful, I'll pass the link along to everyone.

elliep
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Chibow! I don't expect to get pregnant (had tubes tied with last birth) but I'm thrilled for you. I did order a 2-month supply of Insulite. I just want to gather as much info as possible. When I was on Yasmin and met I lost a lot of weight and felt really great, and now I'm off Yasmin and gained a lot of weight with no lifestyle changes, so I'm bummin'. First reaction is to go back on BC, but from what I'm reading, that's just masking symptoms, not helping IR. So I'm going to give Insulite a try and hope for the best. Also getting new doc cuz gyn doesn't want to adjust my met dose and everything I'm reading says 1000 mg/day is just not enough for most people. If I can get back to feeling good without synthetic hormones I'll be happy.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

MrsMindiJean
06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
I wonder if I should add that to my regimen? I just started eating three tablespoons of ground flaxseed and taking a B-50 supplement every day.

splashsmama
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think it would hurt. There've been studies in the New England Journal of Medicine that show it benefited women with PCOS and helped them to ovulate naturally. Study was done on 44 women, 22 were put on d-chirol. And out of the 22 women, 19 had ovulated naturally. Chibow had good things to say about it above, so I'm going to give it a try myself.
If you don't want to buy the supplement, you can also acquire d-chirol in its naturally-occurring form of buckwheat. I'm going to give the buckwheat a try before buying the Chiral Balance.
Let me know how it works for you if you do try it Mindi. :)

aka200
06-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know if d-chiro-inositol can be taken with Metformin?

Also, the Chiral Balance is kind of expensive for me. Does anyone know of any other websites that sell it any cheaper? Thanks!

-Amy

chibow
06-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Yes, DCI and met can be taken together, no interactions.

As far as I know, Chiral Balance is the only commercially available DCI. I suppose lack of competition keeps the prices up.

Splash, do you know how much buckwheat it takes to supply a gram of DCI? Just curious.

splashsmama
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I found this info regarding the buckwheat equivalent for DCI.
For the pancake recipe below, one recipe yields 2 servings of DCI. One serving is about 1300mg DCI. The study that used DCI to help PCOS women used 1200mg a day for obese women and 600mg for non-obese women so you can adjust the servings accordingly if you need to.

The reviews on this recipe is that the pancakes are fluffy and yummy compared to most buckwheat recipes. The buckwheat flavor can be nasty, but it is not as pronounced in this recipe.

Buckwheat farinetta pancakes

1 cup buckwheat farinetta flour (www.minndak.com/)
1/2 cup Aunt Jemima whole wheat blend pancake and waffle mix
1/2 cup apple sauce
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar (or equivalent of substitute)
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (or egg substitute equivalent)
1 cup of skim milk (more if you like thinner pancakes)
2 tbsp melted butter

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together. Divide your batter according to how much DCI you need (ie for 600mg use 1/4 batter total and for 1200mg use 1/2 batter total). Heat skillet enough at first, enough to make butter melt and sizzle. Then turn heat down to low-med. IMPORTANT: Leave on low-med while cooking pancakes to avoid burning pancakes. Only turn when lots of little bubbles appear on surface. Otherwise, pancakes will probably not cook. It takes about 2 min to cook per side, be careful not to burn.
Serve these with sugar free syrup or use fat free whip cream because it has less carbs per serving.

This is definitely an affordable alternative for those who can't afford the Chiral Balance DCI supplements.

aka200
06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info, Chibow! And congratulations on your pregnancy!!

-Amy

chinookpilotswife
06-19-2008, 02:24 PM
splashsmama...thanks for the recipe! I have a question though. Is buckwheat flour and buckwheat farinetta flour the same thing? I can find buckwheat flour but not buckwheat farinetta flour. Thanks!

chinookpilotswife
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
nevermind I answered my own question :)

splashsmama
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Haha! OK, good deal.
:D

naturalhealth
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Ok, here's a question, is there a difference between taking this D-chiro-inositol and taking a regular inositol supplement? I have read that inositol is great for those with PCOS, but I don't know what the difference if between it and the DCI you're referring to. I know that inositol (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/topic.php?health=inositol) is a form of vitamin B, and it's often found in B-Complex, although you can get a separate full supplement of just the inositol. To me it seems more organic and natural than this other specific brand.

limika
08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Inositol is the name for a group of naturally occurring molecules. D-Chiro-Inositol is a specific type of molecule in that group that is less abundant in our diets than some of the other types. Though studies were conducted with DCI on the syndrome, concentrated studies on the general group is hard to find. But studies on the general Inositol group have shown to have the same effects on insulin resistance and anxiety disorders as DCI. There is not sufficient evidence one way or the other on decreasing testosterone levels or increasing luteinizing hormone levels, the hormone that signals the ovaries to release a cystic follicle for ovulation.

My suggestion, go with what is cheaper. If DCI supplements are cheaper then Inositol supplements, go with it, and vice-versa. If one doesn't work, go with the other. Just ensure the supplement you are getting comes from a quality company. If it's cheap and you can't find substantial information on the company, you might be getting less than you paid for. Good luck.

Note: Metformin increases insulin sensitivity in cellular membranes, decreases production of blood glucose and glucose absorption in the intestines. If you are following the low carb, high protein diet that you are supposed to with PCOS, DCI or Inositol will take care of the insulin resistance and absorption/production of glucose will be taken care of by the diet (barring any existing conditions and ingestion of meds that cause hyperglycemia). As a healthcare professional, I do not suggest taking both Metformin (Glucophage, Fortamet) and DCI/Inositol at the same time without talking to your doctor first. Though there is no interaction between the two, one can add to the effects of the other, which can turn one from insulin hyposensitive to insulin hypersensitive which can be just as bad.

Maxine
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
you don't need Metformin, if you are taking DCI. It works great
, without any side effects. I have not detected a cheaper supplier yet.

good luck!
Maxine